Thursday, October 06, 2011

Behind the curtain
I love this quote by Ira Glass, one of my favorite writers/producers. School starts back up this week, and I want to start all of my first lectures with his quote. This being creative gig is not easy. There are many days when you feel like a failure because your work isn't at the right level yet, or it's not getting the reaction/attention you had hoped for. No one said it was easy, and if they did, they were lying. It's hard everyday, some more than others. But when it's good, when you actually make what you've been visualizing in your head, when you surprise yourself with how right it is, those days make up for it all.

I needed this reminder today, as we get into crunch time for the Tool & Tack event, and I am spending so much time promoting and what feels like less time actually making; those kind of days are frustrating. My summer/fall has been insane with events, and looking back I have no clue how I did it. It's not totally over, but after Tool & Tack, I get a bit of a breather, as I am not doing any holiday shows. Not doing a holiday show is a scary thought for a maker. But, I have bigger plans in the works that need attention and care (including myself), so I am taking a risk and saying, "no". Scratch another one off my new year's resolutions!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger CourtneyM said...

I just found your blog through Down & Out Chic. You create gorgeous things. I am enamored. Also, love the thoughts by Ira Glass. Can you give advice to a person who has that certain "killer taste" but absolutely no talent in creating/jewelry-making? Where did you get your start? I have so many ideas in my hand but not the ability to create them.

10/26/2011 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home