Friday, June 10, 2011

Love/Hate with Pinterest
You've heard me talk before about the joys of Pinterest, but after a few months on the site, I'm starting to notice the darker side of the tool. Yes, it can be wonderful for keeping track of inspirational images, but as the list of boards I follow and people following me grows, I am getting overwhelmed. So many images to digest, and no context to understand them in. I find myself going on there less and less these days.

As I get older (and wiser, maybe?), I find the need to edit, edit, and edit my life and what fills my time. I see that in my closet (which has drastically shrunk) and I see that in how I am decorating my new house. I'm currently in the midst of a major edit of my business, Miss Natalie, as well. Maybe I need to just edit down the number of boards I am following?  I tried this trick a while ago and currently only follow 8 people.
Then, of course, there is the unspoken issue of having the same images being pinned over and over again. As a designer who uses Pinterest to keep track of inspiration, I don't always want someone else to repin my finds. There, I said it. An inspirational image can be interpreted in my many different ways, but sometimes you don't want to share that exact idea with the world. I have heard countless folks says, "I wish I could keep my pinboards private". To that effect, I've actually set up a separate account for my developing ideas in an attempt to work around the issue. I am not the only one out there doing this, nor the only one who thinks that should be an option on the website (just check out their FAQ page). We always modify and hack tools to get what we need form them, so this small work around isn't that dramatic.

Are you using Pinterest? What are your thoughts about it, pros and cons?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Janelle said...

Hi, I just stumbled upon your blog while searching for new Mike Brodie images (I'm entranced with his photos!)

Anyways, I have the same problem with pinterest. But I decided to ignor the feeling of wanting to be private about my inspiration. Because the most original personal artistic inspiration happens when I'm away from my computer.

7/16/2011 1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home