Saturday, March 05, 2011

Letter Challenge: Week One
Full Belly Farm
This last week my students and I were talking about the incessant need to have a screen in front of us at all time, checking facebook, twitter, rss feeds, and the like. The quiet time to sit and think has been replaced with apps and constant updates that hit us at lightening speeds. When does our brain slow down anymore? It doesn't. In line with some new year's resolutions, I am trying to find ways to make myself slow down.

This week I'm taking a no-Facebook challenge. I have a love/hate relationship with facebook. It can be fun at times, but often it's just distracting and feels hollow. Who are all these friends? Most are old acquaintances from various periods in my life. Facebook helps me keep in touch, but it's such a distant kind of "touch" that it rings hollow most of the time. I use it more for promoting our businesses, which is extremely helpful, yes, but that's about it. I recently starting writing letters again (remember those?) and I find that nothing beats a letter in the mailbox. Well, maybe a beautiful flower arrangement, but letters come damn close. I have saved nearly every letter I've ever received (several large boxes worth), so I can attest to their power.

Letters, however, take time, so we use shortcuts instead. But if you add up all the time spent using shortcuts (facebook wall posts, messages, twitter @mentions, gowalla/foursquare check ins), couldn't you just sit down and write a short card to the few people you really want to stay connected to? I think so. I am going to try and do just that.  I have several friends who are excellent penpals and I owe them some return mail.

The Challenge: This week I am keeping myself off facebook and will be writing letters & cards instead. 

Dear Readers, 
Does anyone else out there want to join in and pledge a facebook-free week, replaced with honest-to-God pen-to-paper correspondence instead? Leave a comment and let me know if you want to join in. We can all use a social media break.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger this humble abode said...

I'm a big fan of the handwritten note, so count me in.

3/05/2011 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home