Thursday, February 10, 2011

Yokoo in January
photo by Yokoo

One of my favorite artists/makers of the last few years is Yokoo. You have no doubt seen her work on the Etsy homepage, in style blogs, or maybe in the New York Times. She's smart, talented, and the girl can style like nobody's business. She wears vintage clothes like we all envision ourselves wearing vintage clothes when we make a purchase, but are too lazy to actually fix the hem or cinch that waist in. Recently she posted a photo montage of all the images she's collected this past January, and the sheer quantity (let alone quality) shocked me. Take a look.

Yokoo Aperture Library from Yokoo Gibraan on Vimeo.
Right? There are so many amazing finds in here, many of which I had also flagged, but lots of crazy new images I had never seen. It's fun to watch the trends she gravitates towards, as I catch myself falling in those same directions. Aside from being in awe, I started to wonder how many images I had seen in the month of January and either pinned, grabbed, flagged and tagged for myself. Probably just as many. What does looking at so many images a day do to us? Are we spending more time looking for inspiration/finds than we are actually making work? I wonder about this--are my creative processes being swayed and changed too quickly? Do I have enough time to just sit and think about what I'm looking at, or am I being pulled (willingly) on to the next image before I can even process the first.

What do you think?

A few nights ago I found Yokoo's etsy portrait and she talks about the need for quiet in the creative process. I completely understand.

Handmade Portraits: YOKOO from Etsy on Vimeo.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

i often think about this too. it is hard to stop "being inspired". there are so many ways to find images and view things these days. her video is a nice reminder that just getting out in nature is sometimes the best inspiration.

2/10/2011 8:11 PM  
Blogger Miss Natalie said...

Yes, I know what you mean. I've thought about having "no screen" stretches (like during tea time) to try and break the habit of immediately looking at the computer when I have a moment. It's soo easy to get sucked in and distracted, instead of having just quiet time in the day to think. Maybe I should just do that and see how it goes for a week?

p.s.
love your blog! I am excited about your Maker's project.

2/13/2011 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home